Gone but not forgotten: Remembering the lost pubs of Bury St Edmunds
Do you remember some of these lost pubs in Bury St Edmunds?
With the help of town historian Martyn Taylor, the Bury Free Press has put together this map to shine a spotlight on a selection of Bury's former pubs.
Martyn is penning a new book, Lost Bury St Edmunds, due to be published in September, which includes a chapter on long gone public houses.
In it he cites a story that appeared in The Bury & Norwich Post in April 1911, which listed 79 hostelries in Bury.
In 2019, there are about 21 pubs and nine bars in the town.
The Office for National Statistics notes there were 100 pubs and bars in St Edmundsbury in 2010 compared to 85 in 2017.
Among those which have closed in recent years are:
The Falcon, in Risbygate Street, which was converted into residential.
The Rising Sun/later The St Edmunds Tavern, in Risbygate Street, which is now CASA restaurant.
The Minden Rose, on the corner of Newmarket Road/Western Way, which is now Kids Play.
The Elephant and Castle, in Hospital Road, which is now East of England Co-op Funeral Services.
Sources: A- Z of Bury St Edmunds by Martyn Taylor, Old Inns and Beerhouses of Bury St Edmunds by Gerry Nixon, White's Suffolk, The Office for National Statistics and Google Maps/Street View.