A Bury St Edmunds couple who met during a pub darts night are celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary.
Raymond and Gladys Cross, met in 1953 in the Joiners Arms pub, which was in Garland Street.
At the time Mrs Cross was out with her mother Beatrice and sister Dot who introduced her to her future husband.
They married on March 17 1956 at St Edmundsbury Cathedral with a reception at Lansbury House.
Their first house was in Haberden Place, which they rented for 7s 6d. They lived there for seven years and had two sons John and Trevor.
The couple then moved across the road to Southgate Street before buying a property for £4,300 in 1971 in Runnymede Green, where they spent 36 years.
Mr Cross, 85, was a drayman at Greene King, worked for Goldsmiths Seeds, in Southgate Street, had a stint at the sugar beet factory and worked at Sappa Chicks at Fornham Hatchery. His last job was as a driver for Cory Oil.
Mrs Cross, 79, worked part time at Watsons builders merchants, in Southgate Street, and for clothing manufacturer Harvey’s, in Tayfen Road.
Other jobs followed and her last role was a housekeeper at the private hospital in Bury.
They have six grandchildren and nine great grandchildren. The pair now live at the Firs retirement park.
They say the secret to a successful marriage is about ‘give and take, helping each other and having a good family to support them along the way’.