Home   News   Article

Brave Lewis is back on his feet after being bitten by adder on holiday in Swanage




Lewis Paxman,10, was bitten by an adder while on holiday with his family in Swanage. (3969732)
Lewis Paxman,10, was bitten by an adder while on holiday with his family in Swanage. (3969732)

A 10-year-old boy from Bury St Edmunds who was bitten on the foot by a snake while on holiday in Dorset has made a full recovery.

Lewis Paxman, who is in Year 6 at Ickworth Park Primary School, had been walking with his father Oliver, grandfather Neil and eight-year-old sister, Matilda, on the last day of a family holiday in Swanage when the adder attacked.

His mum, Sarah, who hadn’t joined the group on the walk, said: “I thought they were joking when they phoned and told me because we’d joked before that they might see some adders.

“When I realised they were serious it was a real shock and of course the worry then started to set in.”

Neil was able to flag down an ambulance which took Lewis to Poole Hospital, where he was given two doses of anti-venom.

He spent four nights at the hospital before being transferred to West Suffolk Hospital for one night, with Sarah staying by his side the whole time.

“He had to stay in hospital for so long because of the swelling,” said Sarah, who works as a midwife at West Suffolk Hospital.

“His leg was black and blue and he needed to use a wheelchair for some time after it while his leg healed. It was scary but the staff were all really reassuring.”

Lewis Paxman,10, was bitten by an adder while on holiday with his family in Swanage. (3969735)
Lewis Paxman,10, was bitten by an adder while on holiday with his family in Swanage. (3969735)

Staff at the hospital told Sarah that around one child is treated for a snake bite at the hospital every year.

Lewis is now fully recovered, though his ankle still has a blue tinge and swells when over-worked.

“It’s taking a long time to get completely back to normal but we’re getting there,” said Sarah.

“He has been absolutely amazing throughout the whole thing. He dealt with it really well despite being terrified and worried when it first happened. He has been very brave.”

And Sarah now says that the family, of Westgarth Gardens, will be extra prepared when they return to Swanage in the future.

“We’ll definitely be wearing suitable footwear and watching where we’re walking from now on,” she said.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More