Home   News   Article

Boy ‘devastated’ after death of pet cockerel




Mark Westley Photography'Mark Westley Photography'Kyle Mckechnie aged 11 from Thetford who's pet Cockerel was found dead in its cage after irritating neighbours with its crowing, Kyle is pictured with his pet chicken, toffee and his sister Leah aged 13. ANL-141223-122650009
Mark Westley Photography'Mark Westley Photography'Kyle Mckechnie aged 11 from Thetford who's pet Cockerel was found dead in its cage after irritating neighbours with its crowing, Kyle is pictured with his pet chicken, toffee and his sister Leah aged 13. ANL-141223-122650009

A young Thetford boy has been left heartbroken following the death of his pet cockerel which was at the centre of noise complaints.

Kyle McKechnie, 11, and his family had been given until January 2 to rehome the rooster, called Fudge, which he rescued near their home, in Ash Close, two months ago.

He nursed it back to health, but following noise complaints about Fudge’s early morning crowing, Kyle’s family were told by Flagship Housing, who manage the house, that they had to rehome the bird.

However, the situation escalated on Saturday after Kyle found Fudge dead in his cage.

Mother Laura said: “Kyle is absolutely devastated. He nursed that cockerel back to health and now someone may have killed him.

“We are all upset. At the end of the day he was just an innocent animal, he had not done anything wrong.”

Father Scott said someone had cut the chain on the cockerel’s pen and his neck had ’clearly been snapped’.

“It couldn’t have been a fox as there was no blood and the other hen was fine,” he said.

“I’ve been left with three absolutely devastated children who have lost their pet just before Christmas.”

After being warned they could face prosecution if they released Fudge into the wild, Laura and Scott began an appeal on social media to find him a new owner.

“Loads of people said they would take him on, so there was no need for what has been done to him,” said Laura.

The family reported the incident to the police, who advised them to see a vet and establish how Fudge died. but Scott said they cannot afford the vet’s bill and fears they may never know what happened.

Anyone with information is urged to call the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More