Home   News   Article

Apology after overdue diversion causes confusion in Bury

Oops! One roadsign was left covered in King's Road after Anglian Water's forgotten diversion was removed.
Oops! One roadsign was left covered in King's Road after Anglian Water's forgotten diversion was removed.

Anglian Water has apologised after a town centre diversion was left in place long after it should have been removed.

The water company had to close part of Bury St Edmunds’ St Andrew’s Street South, near the RSPCA charity shop, yesterday to repair a water main.

In order to allow access to the arc section of the street and to Woolhall Street, one-way signs in King’s Road were covered to allow two way traffic.

But the diversion was still in place until lunchtime today, with drivers going against the usual flow in King’s Road finding they could not get into Woolhall Street because it was closed for the market so they had to turn round.

An Anglian Water spokeswoman said: “Our engineers completed the work to fix the leak on St Andrew’s Street South yesterday afternoon.

“The road closure was initially left in place to allow the road surface to set, however, this should have been removed yesterday.

“As soon as the issue was reported to us this morning, we sent a team out to remove the signage and the road reopened earlier today.

“We’re sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and would like to thank road users and local customers for their patience.”

However, the team forgot to uncover one sign in King’s Road.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More