Home   News   Article

Alan angry as Stowmarket bungalow struck by tree branches




A 71-year-old man from Stowmarket was left helpless as part of a large tree fell on his bungalow this week.

Alan Crank, of Britten Avenue, was outside his home on Monday afternoon when the incident occurred.

He said: “I just had to watch as it came down, it wasn’t the whole tree but the bit that did come down was quite big.”

The tree hit his and his neighbour’s joined bungalows. Alan was cutting his neighbour’s grass but said it could have been worse.

He said: “Good job I wasn’t doing my own grass. If it had fallen a few degrees off and I had been there, we might not be talking now.”

Alan Crank stands near the piece of fallen tree on the bungalow, in Britten Avenue, Stowmarket Picture by Mecha Morton
Alan Crank stands near the piece of fallen tree on the bungalow, in Britten Avenue, Stowmarket Picture by Mecha Morton

Both bungalows avoided damage but Alan said if an incident happened like this with another of the trees and houses on the street, the next resident might not be so lucky.

He said: “We have complained about them but no-one is taking responsibility. We have all been in fear of them for a long time.

There are elderly people here and if a bigger part of one of the trees came down on their homes they could be done for. Something has to be done.”

Alan rents his home from Cotman Housing Association. A spokesman for the association said: “The safety and wellbeing of our customers is our number one priority. Our property maintenance team responded within two hours following reports of branches falling from a nearby private residence on to one of our Britten Avenue homes.

“After completing a thorough inspection of our customer’s home, we are satisfied that the area is safe and there has been no structural damage. As a precaution however, we have advised our resident not to use their front door until all debris has been removed.

“We have contacted the neighbouring landowner responsible for the damaged tree, to ensure all debris is cleared in the near future.”

The Bury Free Press was unable to contact the owner of the tree for comment but all the debris was removed on Thursday.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More