NOSTALGIA: Vicarage, St Mary’s Square, Bury – from the Spanton Jarman collection

St Mary's Square Vicarage, Bury St Edmunds. From the Spanton Jarman collection

This house is not shown on Warren’s map of 1791 and it is believed to date from the first decade of the 19th century.

It is possible that the porch was added to designs of Francis Sandys, the architect of Ickworth House, who certainly lived in the square. The property was St Mary’s vicarage from 1857-1995.

-- This picture is part of a remarkable collection of 4,000 photographs in the care of Bury St Edmunds Past and Present Society which offers a glimpse into the town’s history.

Taken by two families of professional photographers, the Spantons and the Jarmans, the images span a period from the 1860s through to the outbreak of World War Two. The fragile glass plate negatives were donated to the society in 1997 and in recent years many of these have been ‘digitised’ thanks to a Lottery grant and donations. They can be viewed at where you can also find details about membership and the group’s programme of events and lectures. The Spanton-Jarman collection is held at the Bury St Edmunds branch of the Suffolk Record Office. For more details about the Record Office, including its programme of talks and courses, visit

More from Lifestyle