The Masonic Hall on the north side of Chequer Square occupied the site of the former Six Bells Inn from 1890 until recent years.
The Lodge purchased the adjoining no 37 Churchgate Street in 1957. To the right of the Norman Tower is the 1846 Savings Bank designed by Lewis Cottingham. The obelisk was moved further to the right in the spring of 1977.
-- -- This picture is part of a remarkable collection of 4,000 photographs in the care of Bury St Edmunds Past and Present Society which offers a glimpse into the town’s history.
Taken by two families of professional photographers, the Spantons and the Jarmans, the images span a period from the 1860s through to the outbreak of World War Two. The fragile glass plate negatives were donated to the society in 1997 and in recent years many of these have been ‘digitised’ thanks to a Lottery grant and donations - a further £2,000 is needed to complete the task. They can be viewed at www.burypastandpresent.org.uk where you can also find details about membership and the group’s programme of events and lectures. The Spanton-Jarman collection is held at the Bury St Edmunds branch of the Suffolk Record Office. For more details about the Record Office, including its programme of talks and courses, visit www.suffolk.gov.uk/sro.