Linnet House, Southgate Street, Bury St Edmunds, 1900
Linnet House, in Southgate Street, Bury St Edmunds, was the home of the diarist Henry Crabb Robinson [d.1867]. He was a literary and theatrical critic and a friend of Wordsworth, Coleridge and Southey. In 1907, as part of the Bury Pageant celebrations, a commemorative plaque was placed over the door.
-- This picture is part of a remarkable collection of 4,000 photographs in the care of Bury St Edmunds Past and Present Society which offers a glimpse into the town’s history.
Taken by two families of professional photographers, the Spantons and the Jarmans, the images span a period from the 1860s through to the outbreak of World War Two. The fragile glass plate negatives were donated to the society in 1997 and in recent years many of these have been ‘digitised’ thanks to a Lottery grant and donations. They can be viewed at www.burypastandpresent.org.uk where you can also find details about membership and the group’s programme of events and lectures. The Spanton-Jarman collection is held at the Bury St Edmunds branch of the Suffolk Record Office. For more details about the Record Office, including its programme of talks and courses, visit www.suffolkarchives.co.uk
More by this authorNewsdesk Bury
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)