NOSTALGIA: Angel Hill, Crescent House (Mr Gocher’s house) - c1860
Thomas Gocher had owned this impressive corner site on Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds, since the 1830s.
After his death in 1873, his widow was listed in the Rate Books as owner until 1880. The Crimean Gun arrived in Bury in April 1858 and was placed ‘...diagonally at the corner of Angel Hill, pointing to Mr Gocher’s .,.’ in June 1859. By May 1864 the gun had been moved to Cemetery Road (later King’s Road) Militia Barracks.
-- This picture is part of a remarkable collection of 4,000 photographs in the care of Bury St Edmunds Past and Present Society which offers a glimpse into the town’s history.
Taken by two families of professional photographers, the Spantons and the Jarmans, the images span a period from the 1860s through to the outbreak of World War Two. The fragile glass plate negatives were donated to the society in 1997 and in recent years many of these have been ‘digitised’ thanks to a Lottery grant and donations - a further £2,000 is needed to complete the task. They can be viewed at www.burypastandpresent.org.uk where you can also find details about membership and the group’s programme of events and lectures. The Spanton-Jarman collection is held at the Bury St Edmunds branch of the Suffolk Record Office. For more details about the Record Office, including its programme of talks and courses, visit www.suffolk.gov.uk/sro.