Debutants are given a baptism of fire
The Bury Bombers played their first two games in the Wheelchair Basketball Development League, but both opponents showed no mercy for Bury’s new faces.
The trip to Newark featured debuts from Daniel Dickens, Kate Parish, Matthew Booth and John Rouncefield, who joined Tim Croydon, Carl Jackson and juniors Demi and Chelsea Irvine Bird in a team that will only improve as the season goes on.
Rouncefield was first off the mark for the Bombers, who quickly found their feet in their first game against Coventry.
Bury’s momentum continued up until half-time, leveling the score at 19-19.
The Bombers fought hard in the second half, but could not capitalise on their chances, slipping behind the pace as they lost the game 45-43.
The second game was against an experienced Nottingham side who pressed from the start, making it hard for the Bombers to gain possession.
Despite winning the final quarter, Bury crashed to a 48-17 defeat.
Shot of the day was awarded to Dan Dickins, player of the match to Kate Parish.
Bury Bombers’ next round of matches takes place in Coventry, on March 17.
- Vision reveals fresh detail on plans to develop town
- Leaping Hare in Stanton is named Good Food Guide’s readers’ regional restaurant of the year
- Text message reveals relationship with 15-year-old
- Manufacturing firm near Bury St Edmunds which rose to become largest of its kind in UK targets Europe at World showcase
- New chief operating officer appointed at NHS foundation trust
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North east