Club of champions
IT IS not often that a bowls club with only 45 playing members can boast three current national champions – one a double champion – but Ixworth Bowls Club can.
Having won their respective county finals earlier in August, Ann Lilley, partnered by Pat Jennings in the ladies’ pairs, and by Errol Feavearyear in the senior mixed pairs, have recently gone on to win through to the national finals of each competition, held in Skegness.
In the ladies’ pairs finals, Lilley and Jennings came up against stiff opposition from two ladies from County Durham, but won 16-15 in a close match to take the national title – their third national title in as many years.
The following morning, in the senior mixed pairs, Lilley and Feavearyear played a couple from Norfolk.
After a tight first few ends, the Ixworth pair won four shots on one end and never looked back, going on to a comfortable 19-12 victory.
Lilley and Jennings also played in the Suffolk team that won the Donald Steward Trophy.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: South west
Temperature: 6 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North