MARSHALL HATCHICK TWO COUNTIES CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION ONE: Mildenhall 148-3 beat Hadleigh 147 by seven wickets
New club coach Kobus Sholtz shone in a playing capacity as Mildenhall began their 2014 campaign with a home victory against Hadleigh.
Spinners Steve Lankester (3-50) and Kobus Scholtz (5-42) bowled in tandem as Hadleigh progressed to 73-1 in the 19th over.
Scholtz trapped Josh Davey (14) lbw before having Luke Ibbs (36) well caught by James Holmes and Lankester got in on the act when Tom Pidington (0) was caught behind by Karl Holmes.
Dominic Manthorpe (0) was bowled by Scholtz and Paul Budd (0) stumped by Karl Holmes off Lankester.
Kyle Tanner (24) and Tim Rix (19) added a further 31 until Tanner was caught by James Holmes off Scholtz and Rix adjudged lbw to Lankester.
Sam Handley gave Scholtz his fifth wicket when he was caught at long-off by Frannie Bester for 16 and Duncan Fraser made a late debut to wrap things up for Mildenhall.
In reply, Scholtz made an unbeaten 68, with Ben Shepperson (40) and Ryan Clark (15no) providing support as Mildenhall eased home.
* Great efforts by groundsman Denis Fisher ensured Brockley welcomed Copford to perfect conditions underfoot for their opening Division Two match of the season.
Only captain Simon Byford (45) and Mark Geeves (22) offered resistance as they collapsed to 125 all out.
There were wickets for Isaac Reed, Dean Sykes and Ben Jeffrey, but little else to cheer as Copford reached their target in 18 overs.
* Mildenhall II were narrowly beaten at Woodbridge and OW in a thrilling opening Division Three fixture.
Captain Andy Youngs (3-22), Jack Loveday (3-13) and Ben Tippett (2-12) bowled Woodbridge out for 131.
From 68-9 in reply, a near-heroic stand by Jack Bowman (33) and Martin Kingdon (23no) helped Mildenhall get within a run, only for Bowman to be caught.
* Stowmarket began the new season with a satisfying win at Kelvedon and Feering II in Division Five.
Craig Watling (2-40), Josh Finbow (1-18), Adam Hawes (2-21) and Abdul Quereshi (1-30) were the Stow wicket takers, with Mike Ives taking two brilliant catches.
In reply, captain Paul Blake (58), Dale Brett (29), Adam Hawes (29), Dan Marsh (14) and Quereshi (11no) saw the visitors home.
* Mildenhall IV beat Maldon III by 70 runs in Division Seven, with Mick Saunders (70), Lee Chipchase (35 and 4-35) and Steve Ready (4-35) starring.
* Stowmarket II lost to Battisford by 73 runs in Division Eight West, despite strong contributions from Junior Trye (4-43) and Dave Aldous (3-39 and 49no).