Striker risks the wrath of Bury again after outburst on Twitter

TOP SCORER: Bury Town striker John Sands watches a chance go begging during an impressive 33-goal season in 2012/13
TOP SCORER: Bury Town striker John Sands watches a chance go begging during an impressive 33-goal season in 2012/13
0
Have your say

Bury Town chairman Russell Ward has warned John Sands that ‘the club’s patience will run out eventually’ with the top scorer’s desire to leave.

Ward was forced to answer questions on Sands’ future again this week after the striker took to Twitter to accuse the Blues of denying him a professional move.

The Ram Meadow-based outfit’s chairman admitted they had been in contact with Wycombe Wanderers over a possible trial for Sands, but said the Sky Bet League Two team were unwilling to cover Bury for the player’s wages in the event of the ex-
Mildenhall Town frontman getting injured while at Adams Park.

“That is standard practice,” said Ward, who cited Ian Miller’s transfer to Ipswich Town as an example. “We have to safeguard ourselves.”

Sands has netted 52 goals in 90 appearances since signing for Bury in October 2011 and is under contract until next summer.

He first spoke of his desire to leave Bury in April, just days before a crucial Ryman Premier encounter at Whitehawk.

On that occasion, manager Richard Wilkins gave him a ‘tongue lashing’ and the Blues boss returns from holiday today into the middle of the latest storm caused by Sands after the 26-year-old said it was his ‘dream people are messing with’.

Ward questioned the player’s timing again — with just over a week until Bury open their Ryman League Premier Division campaign at East Thurrock United — and added: “He’s part of a team and has to make sure he doesn’t alienate his teammates.”

The likes of Miller, Ben Coker and Nick Pope have departed for professional clubs during Ward’s tenure, while Connor Hall’s proposed move to Cambridge United has been delayed by at least six months as he needs a series of operations to cure injuries in his hips and groin.

Having reiterated his complaint with the club to the Free Press on Monday, Sands called back to retract his statement on Wednesday after a discussion with Ward, but had not removed his comments from Twitter by the time the newspaper went to press.

“I’ve had a good chat with Russell and I appreciate his position,” said Sands, who looks set to miss the start of the new season with a hip injury. “It’s disappointing not to be allowed on trial due to a small issue that couldn’t be sorted out.”

Winger Jordan Patrick (ankle) may also miss the Blues’ first league game on August 10, while captain Tom Bullard (back) and new signing Ryan Semple (calf) are unlikely to play much part in final pre-season matches against King’s Lynn Town tomorrow (3pm) and Cambridge United on Monday (7.45pm), both at Ram Meadow.

Histon striker Matty Waters — who has been on trial with the likes of Birmingham City and Brentford in recent months — may also play again after scoring the only goal of Bury’s pre-season win at Mildenhall Town on Tuesday, while Australian forward Anthony Roulston is also attempting to earn a deal with the club.