SCOWIE STAYS WITH BLUES

ONE MOR YEAR: James Scowcroft
ONE MOR YEAR: James Scowcroft
0
Have your say

FORMER Ipswich Town star James Scowcroft has confirmed he will be staying at Bury Town for the coming season.

The Stanton-based striker-turned-midfielder was unsure whether or not he would commit to another year of playing, despite featuring for the Blues during pre-season.

And although the 35-year-old will miss the season’s opening matches through suspension, he is hoping to earn his place in Richard Wilkins’ starting XI and maintain the Suffolk outfit’s high standards from last season.

“I was seriously considering giving up at the end of last season,” said the Bury Free Press columnist.

“But I felt I was a bit too young still not to be playing.”

Scowcroft – who also turned out in the Football League for Crystal Palace, Leicester City, Coventry City and Leyton Orient during a 16-year professional career – has been impressed with Bury’s transfer business during the summer, which has seen them snap up Histon’s Lee Smith, among others.

“We had a good team last year, but the squad wasn’t the biggest,” said the former Thurston Community College pupil. “The club have addressed that with some good quality additions.

“We have to maintain the high standards the club set itself last season.”

As well as Lee Smith, ex-Cambridge United midfielder Stephen Smith, Leiston’s talented winger Danny Cunningham and former Histon hero John Kennedy have also joined. Youngsters Richard Robbins, Jack Cawley and Daryl Coakley make up the seven close season signings thus far.

And while attempting to earn his place in the Bury team, Scowcroft will also be charged with aiding Wilkins and assistant-boss Richard Skelly with coaching this campaign.

He said: “Looking ahead long term, it’s something I want to add and do more of over the next two or three years.”

n Tonight’s friendly with AFC Sudbury has been called off, but Monday’s match at home to Cambridge United (7.45pm) will go ahead.