Bury Town 0
Dulwich Hamlet 4
Bury boss Richard Wilkins is ready to wield the axe after watching his side give Dulwich Hamlet the freedom of Ram Meadow on Tuesday night.
A hugely disappointed Blues chief said he has to look to ship ‘two or three’ players out of the club to bring in fresh faces to revive their faltering season.
Two goals in each half, a brace apiece for standout performer Erhun Oztumer, one a dubious second-half penalty, and Jerome Walker, ensured Bury’s home hoodoo continued as their winless run at Ram Meadow stretched to six games.
But the manner of the defeat, in front of the watching Southend manager Phil Brown, left Wilkins believing decisive action is needed.
“They looked like Barcelona and we looked like Aldershot,” he said.
“Individually I do not think we were anywhere near our levels.
“I think we are going to have to get rid of a few and bring a few new ones in because I think we have only played really well three or four times this season, mostly away from home.
“I thought we played well against Harrow, but other than that at home there seems to be a phobia.
“I was seeing players on Tuesday night that against Met Police and Grays were probably our best players and on Tuesday they were like shrinking violets — I don’t know why they are scared to play.”
With Taylor Nathaniel and Adam Bailey-Dennis both injured, Dave Bridges moved back to partner Tom Bullard in the heart of a defence that soon soon came under increasing pressure.
Although the Blues started reasonably brightly, goalkeeper Marcus Garnham was given a taste of things to come when having to pull off two saves in the opening 20 minutes before Joe Whight saw his free-kick pushed away.
But after Otzumer found space to fire a 25-yard strike past Garnham, with the Bury keeper getting a hand to it, 10 minutes from the break, Bury never recovered.
They doubled their half-time advantage five minutes into stoppage time when a one-two down the Dulwich left saw Ahmed Deen get past Ryan Semple to cut back for Walker, who guided into the far post.
After Garnham had pulled off a smart save early on, any hopes of a Bury fightback were soon quashed 11 minutes after the re-start when Walker waltzed through the Bury defence on a mazy run from the half-way line before planting the ball into the bottom left-hand corner.
It could have been more before John Sands’ header was held by Phil Wilson just past the hour mark in what was the home side’s first shot on target of the half.
Fifteen minutes from time Bury’s misery was compounded when Oztumer went down easily under what looked a good Russell Short challenge and stepped up to fire home the spot kick.
As Dulwich took their foot off the gas Bury pushed for a consolation but when it didn’t come the final whistle was met with boos from a section of the crowd.
Bury: Garnham, Short, Dunbar, Kennedy, Bullard (c), Semple (Logan 57), Bridges, Tolley (Roulston 77), Sands, Patrick (Wales 77).
Man of the Match: Marcus Garnham — few players deserve any credit but the goalkeeper prevented the scoreline being more embarrassing with several fine saves.
n Wilkins is demanding a reaction from his players as 11th-placed Bury face two more home games in four days, with 17th-placed Hendon visiting tomorrow (3pm) before they host divisional rivals Lowestoft Town in the Suffolk Premier Cup first round on Tuesday (7.45pm) in a repeat of last year’s final, which Bury won 2-0.
Taylor Nathaniel is set to return tomorrow but Adam Bailey-Dennis is rated as very doubtful while Billy Clarke remains sidelined.