Villagers set for legal challenge on digester plan

0
Have your say

VILLAGERS plan a legal challenge against planning approval for an anaerobic digester.

Campaigners in Denham and Barrow say their legal team identified errors in the way Suffolk County Council determined the application.

In a statement on Tuesday, the campaigners say the council made a second environmental screening earlier this year in response to their claims but failed again to properly consider the environmental impacts.

They added: “Depending on SCC’s response, the next step will be to apply to the High Court for permission to proceed with an application for judicial review.”

The villagers say the county ignored public consultation, and relied on ‘inaccurate and incomplete information about transport impacts’.

The campaigners claim the anaerobic digester on Denham Estate will handle ‘20,000 tonnes of imported food waste leading to large numbers of HGVs passing through Denham and Barrow’.

A report to the county’s Development Control Committee in July 2010 said it would add five lorry movements a day. Planning conditions required the waste would be from no more than 30 miles away.

Denham Estate’s owner Cecilia Gliksten said: “We are confident that Suffolk County Council has made the right decision in approving this project.”

A county spokesman said: “We are aware that the local group are not satisfied with this outcome. Suffolk County Council cannot comment further at this stage, but will respond to those concerns.”