Village cut-off since storm

Storm St Jude battered the UK on October 28
Storm St Jude battered the UK on October 28
0
Have your say

Residents of Drinkstone have criticised telecoms giant BT for leaving them without landline telephones and broadband since the big storm more than two weeks ago.

The village was hit by a power cut the day of the storm on October 28 and lost its telephone and internet the day after.

But whereas the power was back up and running a couple of days later, it has been a long and frustrating wait for around 18 homes in the village to get their phones back.

BT engineers finally arrived on Wednesday to fix the phones lines – 17 days after the storm hit.

Drinkstone resident Duncan Hannant, Professor of Applied Immunology at the University of Nottingham, said many of the residents affected were elderly and vulnerable.

He said: “Of the 20 households in the post code, 18 or so have been without landlines and broadband.

“We have disabled and aged people without phone lines – they cannot contact their doctor or call 999.

“The Age UK representative in the village, her phone was also cut off so she cannot get in touch with her clients.”

Duncan said villagers had been having had a hard time getting news on when the service would resume.

“When you call to find out what is going on you just get passed along a string of call centres,” he said.

“What are these guys doing after all this time?

“It doesn’t cost much to replace some wires in the ground – not compared to the £900 million they just spent on the football.”

On Wednesday, a BT spokesman said: “Engineers have been on site and carried out extensive works to replace damaged overhead wires and connect lines back in.

“We apologise for the inconvenience caused as this essential work is carried out, and would like to reassure customers that we are working hard to restore services as soon as possible.”