Bury St Edmunds rail station has been returned to its former glory thanks to a £1 million restoration programme.
Train operator, Greater Anglia, has completed the scheme to restore and repair brickwork across the entire station, fix decades of damage caused by leaks, restore 500m of canopy and replace 500m of platform.
It says the work will protect and improve the Grade II listed building for years to come and create an attractive gateway to the town,
The work was carried out in consultation with the Victorian Society and St Edmundsbury Borough Council.
Over seven months Greater Anglia teams often worked overnight to minimise disruption to passengers.
They cleaned, repaired and repainted canopies, roof glazing and lights, resurfaced the platform, including replacement slabs at the platform edge and repainting of lines and drainage improvements.
They cleaned, repointed and repaired all brickwork, corrected leaks in the stairwell by sandblasting, stripping out old, ineffective repair work, re-rendering and re-decorating.
Damaged pipework was replaced and repainted and a new roof access was installed to allow a safe ‘working at height’ system for future roof and guttering maintenance.
A specialist stonemason was called in to repair and replac deteriorated sandstone parapets, while windows and lamp standards were repainted.
New cycle storage was installed, doubling capacity from 10 to 20, plus extra car parking and two additional motorcycle spaces.
The work is in addition to the refurbishment of the toilets and installation of a new waiting room which was completed earlier this year.
The station, designed by Sancton Wood, opened in November 1847.