A child fell into an exposed manhole near a youth centre in Bury St Edmunds on Thursday after ‘mindless idiots’ removed its cast iron cover.
A total of three manhole covers were interfered with outside the Moreton Hall Youth Club building in Symonds Road.
The young girl, aged five, was not seriously injured and an ambulance was not called.
Donna Crake was watching her son’s football match on the field by the youth club when she saw the little girl fall.
She said: “One of her legs was in it and the other wasn’t. I ran over and picked her out. It was quite deep, around five or 6ft, and there was a gully.
“I can imagine it was quite scary for her. She wasn’t very old, only five or six. She cried a little but I think it was more the shock than actually hurting herself.”
The girl’s mother, Lucie Falco, was also watching the match and went to her daughter’s aid.
She said her daughter did have a ‘big shock’ but was ok once she was comforted.
Mrs Crake informed Cllr Frank Warby of the incident and he reported it to the borough council which owns and leases the youth club building.
Cllr Warby said: “Some mindless idiots think it’s funny to uncover holes for people walking past – the girl couldn’t have been more than 10. I’m glad she wasn’t hurt, it could have been a lot more serious.”
A spokeswoman for St Edmundsbury Borough Council said: “This matter was reported to us on Friday. We attended and put barriers up around three manhole covers while we investigate the issue.”