Tayfen Road, Bury St Edmunds, has reopened after fire crews were called to investigate reports of smoke coming from Tayfen House’s roof.
Suffolk Fire Service was called at about 1.15pm and residents were evacuated from the house, which provides accommodation for 18 homeless young people.
A fire service spokeswoman said three appliances attended and police were called to close the road the road but after an extensive search of the building they were unable to find anything other than a damaged light.
Suffolk Fire Service station commander Russell Punchard said: “We were called to these premises after a resident saw smoke issuing from somewhere up in the roof space.
“We evacuated the premises and at the present time are unable to ascertain the location of any fire but we will continue to search until we can declare the building safe.”
Tayfen House resident Mick Davis said: “I was outside having a cigarette and saw smoke and let them know inside.”
He said he saw smoke coming from the tiled area of the roof.