Suspended jail sentence for man’s car chase

A 22-YEAR-OLD man, who was involved in a car chase with police, has been given a suspended jail sentence.

James Neville Taylor, 22, drove dangerously on the A1101 and streets in Beck Row after refusing to hand over his car keys to a police community support officer in a Mildenhall car park.

He was recorded speeding through a built up area and driving over double white lines while overtaking before being found with a quantity of cannabis.

During a sentencing hearing, Rosalind Cappleman, prosecuting, said a PCSO was involved in an incident with Taylor, who was in his car with his girlfriend at Sainsbury’s car park, on November 15 ‘in which he was abrasive and not easy to talk to’.

She reached into the car to get the keys but it started to roll back while out of gear. It was put into gear and ‘reversed further back pulling the PCSO but causing no injury’.

Taylor sped off and drove dangerously while being chased by police until he stopped at his mum’s home in Aspal Close, Beck Row.

Mrs Cappleman said he drove at 50 to 60mph in a built up area according to police.

Taylor, of Norwich Road, Wisbech, was previously found guilty of the dangerous driving at a trial and admitted possessing the cannabis, using a vehicle without insurance and failing to stop.

He also pleaded guilty to using threatening, abusive, insulting words or behaviour towards another and resisting a police officer, in Newmarket, on March 18.

Mark Thompson, in mitigation, said Tyler had offered to plead guilty to ‘careless driving’ rather than dangerous driving. He added: “It was a chase of sorts but it wasn’t a high speed chase.”

Taylor was given a 12-week jail sentence suspended for 18 months, an 18-month supervision requirement and a six-month alcohol treatment course.

He was disqualified from driving for 24 months and his licence was endorsed.

For possessing the cannabis he received a conditional discharge for 12 months and the drugs will be destroyed.

For the offences in Newmarket, he was given two £50 fines.

He was also ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge and £100 costs.