Neighbours react to prevent ‘disaster’

House fire in Low Road, Bardwell.
House fire in Low Road, Bardwell.
0
Have your say

A FIRE chief has emphasised the importance of smoke alarms after disaster was averted at a thatched cottage.

Dave Collins, incident commander for Suffolk Fire Service, said a blaze at the cottage in Low Street, Bardwell, was dealt with quickly after a smoke alarm alerted quick-thinking neighbours.

Although the fire gutted the kitchen and an upstairs bedroom, it could have been far worse, according to Mr Collins.

“It’s a thin thatch and had the fire got hold, it would have been a far more difficult one to put out,” he said.

The thatch suffered minimal damage on the inside of the house.

Seven appliances were sent to the scene from Bury St Edmunds, Ixworth, Thetford and East Harling.

The house is believed to be a holiday home and the owners were not present at the time of the fire.