MPs seek super fast internet help

David Ruffley MP
David Ruffley MP
0
Have your say

Suffolk’s MPs and the Country Land and Business Association (CLA) are both seeking help for areas that will not benefit from Government funded superfast broadband.

Bury St Edmunds MP David Ruffley said this week that Ed Vaizey, Under Secretary of State for Culture, Communications and Creative Industries, had agreed to meet a delegation of Suffolk’s MPs and county council leader Mark Bee, who is in charge of the £24 million Better Broadband for Suffolk project, by the end of the year.

Mr Ruffley said: “BT says there are a few dozen ‘trouble spot’ areas that aren’t going to get superfast broadband any time soon and, anyway, later than the Government’s announced targets.”

The better broadband aim is that by 2015, 90 per cent of premises will get superfast fibre optic broadband of more than 24 megabits per second while the remaining 10 per cent will get at least 2mbps, but Mr Ruffley said many in rural trouble spots still feared being left behind.

CLA eastern regional director Nicola Currie said last week: “The economic health of rural communities and their businesses is being damaged by exasperatingly slow broadband that leaves them unable to compete.”

She said the CLA will continue to lobby Government for more support for rural areas.