Man stopped to investigate fire

Joe drove past a house on fire in Mildenhall and stopped to make sure the occupants were awake.
Joe drove past a house on fire in Mildenhall and stopped to make sure the occupants were awake.
Have your say

An airfield lighting electrician raised the alarm at a house fire in Mildenhall and banged on the door of the property to alert the occupant.

Joe Jesney, 25, was travelling to work at RAF Mildenhall early on Saturday morning when he saw smoke coming from the upstairs window of a property in College Heath Road.

He initially drove past the house but became concerned and returned to investigate.

Mr Jesney pulled over and alerted the emergency services before banging on the door of the property.

Although he received no response he thought he heard someone scrabbling inside and began to bang harder on the door until a man opened the upstairs window.

Mr Jesney said that smoke poured out of the window when it was opened.

He checked that the man had not been injured before continuing his journey to work.

Mr Jesney said the man thanked him for raising the alarm and described the experience as ‘quite surreal’.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service was alerted to the fire at 7.24am.

One crew from Mildenhall and two from Newmarket responded.

They arrived at the scene at 7.33am and reported that the house was ‘heavily smoke logged’.

The crews used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to fight the fire and ventilate the terraced house.

The fire was reported to be under control by 8am and the three crews were back to base just after 8.30am.

East of England Ambulance Service sent a rapid response vehicle to the property after receiving a call at 7.35am.

The patient was treated for the effects of breathing in smoke at the scene but declined hospital treatment.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service has advised people never to enter a smoke logged or burning building and to always contact the emergency services immediately.

They advise people to raise the alarm with occupants if safe to do so.