Man jailed after horrific crash in Bury St Edmunds

Anton Giles, jailed after Kings Road accident in Bury St Edmunds

Anton Giles, jailed after Kings Road accident in Bury St Edmunds

0
Have your say

A 23-year-old man has been jailed for 20 months after an horrific road crash in Bury St Edmunds.

Anton Giles of Old Norwich Road, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to charges of dangerous driving, failing to stop after an accident, failing to provide a specimen of breath and assault on Saturday January 8.

His car struck two pedestrians trapping one underneath a fence panel. Both suffered serious injuries. Giles then struck an 85-year-old pedestrian who was trying to help. Giles was also banned from driving for four years and must take an extended driving test at the end of the ban.

The court heard that he had been drinking heavily at a house in Queens Road and friends had endeavoured to prevent him driving away. He had dsriven off at high speed and appeared to be shouting and screaming at the wheel of the car before the crash.

In mitigation Hugh Vass said Giles had suffered nightmares about the incident and had expressed genuine remorse.

Sentencing him, Judge David Goodin said: “This was as atrocious a case of dangerous driving as one can expect to see.”

Speaking after the sentencing, Investigating officer, PC Andrew Fossey of the Serious Collision Investigation Team, said: “This was a horrific incident made worse still by Giles leaving the scene without attempting to help his victims and lashing out at an 82-year-old man who tried to stop him. The collision happened on a busy Saturday afternoon and many people witnessed it, and I am very grateful to those who came forward to assist the investigation. Their accounts have helped to bring Giles to justice.”