A man struggling with drug misuse died from an overdose in a toilet at a hostel in Bury St Edmunds, an inquest has been told.
Keiron Johnson, 34, was found collapsed with a syringe nearby at Tayfen House on January 9.
An inquest on Monday in Bury St Edmunds heard how Mr Johnson had only been a resident at Tayfen House for three days before his death.
In a statement, project assistant Alison Robinson said that she had been alerted by another resident and after some difficulty had managed to get the door to the toilet open and found Mr Johnson’s body.
A post mortem examination by consultant pathologist Dr Sheila Purdy and specialist toxicology tests showed that Mr Johnson had a fatal level of heroin in his blood together with alcohol which was higher than the level allowed for driving.
The inquest heard that at the time of his death, Mr Johnson had stopped taking the heroin substitute methadone.
Assistant Suffolk Coroner Dr Daniel Sharpstone said a report from Mr Johnson’s GP showed that he had suffered from depression, was using heroin which he wanted to stop and had also had suicidal thoughts.
Assistant Coroner Dr Sharpstone recorded that Mr Johnson had died as a result of opiate and alcohol overdose.