London council asks Bury St Edmunds Havebury to help rehouse its tenants

0
Have your say

A housing association in Bury St Edmunds has been asked by a London council if it could house some of its poorest families.

Newham Council wrote to 1,179 housing associations including Havebury Housing Partnership asking them if they could house 500 families as the affordable housing rent there is higher than a Government cap recently placed on Housing Benefit.

But Philip Sullivan, director of operations at Havebury said: “We already devote 75% of our available homes to meeting local housing need, with the other 25% being used to support our existing tenants in moving.

“Our priority is to the local communities where we operate. We have discussed this with our local authority partners and we do not feel it is appropriate to participate in this scheme.”