DCSIMG

Fire at Muntons maltings in Stowmarket

editorial image

editorial image

Fire crews tackled a fire at Muntons maltings in Stowmarket yesterday.

Fire control received a call to an automatic alarm at 1.11pm and a further call confirming there was a fire on the second floor of a four storey building used as a cooling vessel for malted flakes.

Dr Nigel Davies, Manufacturing and Sustainability Director said: “The alarm was raised by a member of staff in the area who saw flames inside some equipment.

“A full evacuation of the building was made and nobody was injured in any way.

“Two of our team attempted to extinguish the flames with fire extinguishers and succeeded in reducing it to a smoulder.

“We did not condider it safe to leave the smouldering material and called the fire brigade.

“Initially the local Stowmarket appliance arrived and arranged for the material and ducting around to be wetted to reduce heat and the chance of reignition.

“Subsequently a further seven appliances from Ipswich, Elmswell and Needham Market including a turntable unit arrived on site, but were not used in controlling the incident.”

Dr Davies said yesterday’s fire started in the same equipent as a small fire last month.

It is belived to have started by a spark.

He said: “The spark detection system is now checked every six hours and was last checked just one hour previously.

“We will now consider how to fit additional safety features to prevent a reoccurance.”

Firefighters helped inspect and cool the equipment and remove charred material.

Crews called a stop at 3.15pm and staff returned to work.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news