A group of travellers that pitched up in Bury St Edmunds last week were moved on in less than three days because of pre-emptive action by the council.
The group arrived at St Andrew’s car park, behind Wilkinson’s, at around 7.30pm on Monday and were gone on Thursday morning.
St Edmundsbury Borough Council obtained pre-emptive injunctions from the High Court last November to prevent travellers from illegally camping on council-owned town centre car parks and Moreton Hall open spaces.
St Andrew’s is one of the car parks covered by the injunctions which, if not obeyed, put travellers in contempt of court and at risk of being imprisoned.
A council spokeswoman said: “They were notified that they were in breach of that injunction and they moved on as a result of being told they couldn’t stay.”
Meanwhile, it has been revealed that another group of travellers given a temporary winter stopping place on the Great Barton side of the boundary with Moreton Hall last year will need to move on by April 1.
Conditions imposed have limited the number of caravans and required a weekly fee to be paid for temporary toilets and waste collection.
The council spokeswoman said there was no possibility of the site becoming a permanent one.