Woman conned by fake workman in Bury St Edmunds
AN ELDERLY woman has been conned out of £300 after a trickster claiming to be a workman convinced her that her house needed urgent repairs.
The woman, in her 80s, was visited at her home in St Olaves Road, Bury St Edmunds, yesterday by a man saying her chimney needed fixing.
He said he would do the work immediately if the woman paid him £300, which she agreed to do.
He then left with the money, without carrying out the work.
The incident took place between 9.50am and 10.15am.
The offender is described as being tall, white, between 30 and 40-years-old, with short brown hair and wearing a t-shirt and jeans.
Anyone with information should call police on 101, asking for Pc John Moore at Bury St Edmunds Police.
- Fire crews extinguish trees on fire in Red Lodge
- BNI aims for £1 million business growth following launch in Bury St Edmunds
- Priory School gets gold star marking
- Police call for compensation claim not to detract from officers’ ‘hard work’
- Suffolk’s Police and Crime Commissioner sets out priorities for local policing
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North west