Volunteers help at day care centre
SERVICE personnel from RAF Mildenhall have helped with garden improvements at a day care centre in Bury St Edmunds.
A team of 18 from the base helped with work at The Bungalow, which caters for young people with learning needs.
The volunteers removed weeds, painted a fence and shed, and built a vegetable truck at the centre off Barons Road.
And they are due to return to build a ramp to allow the centre’s eight or nine wheelchair users, to access the garden.
Suzanne Smith, a director of The Bungalow, said: “They worked their socks off. It is going to make a huge difference to us. It just shows that there are some really lovely people around.”
She said the work would meant they could soon grow their own plants and vegetables.
The centre specialises in teaching independent living skills, including preparing food.
Suzanne and Gayle Simpson both worked at Riverside special needs school in Bury but said there was no provision for youngsters aged 19 and over.
They opened The Bungalow in July. So far it has 27 young people on its books.
- Vision reveals fresh detail on plans to develop town
- PCSO in Bury St Edmunds is found dead
- Leaping Hare in Stanton is named Good Food Guide’s readers’ regional restaurant of the year
- Text message reveals relationship with 15-year-old
- Manufacturing firm near Bury St Edmunds which rose to become largest of its kind in UK targets Europe at World showcase
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North east