Town lights get £1,000 refit
Thetford’s Christmas light switch on will have some extra sparkle this year after a £1,000 refurbishment was carried out.
The costs include a £400 contribution from Moving Thetford Forward (MTF), whose chairman, William Nunn, said the switch on was an important community event.
“This is a crucial time of year for our local high street retail businesses.
“MTF recognises the importance of encouraging people to shop locally.
“A traditional Christmas lights display is always an added attraction and will help encourage shoppers out onto the streets,” he said.
The annual cost of putting up and taking down the lights is £10,000.
The majority is paid by the town council but local businesses and organisations tend to boost the sum.
Susan Glossop, Thetford Town Manager, the lights were a ‘long tradition’ in the town.
“The Town Council is very grateful for the contributions we have received so far, but we would still welcome further donations.”
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: South
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North