The cost of living: 1948
The following items have been taken from the Bury Free Press archives, from 1948.
The Bury Gas Company, in Bury St Edmunds, was selling 10 gallon capacity gas wash-boilers for £3.
Walter Sneezum, in St John’s Street, Bury, was selling oak dining room clocks from £4 19s 4d to £18 12s 10d.
An Ekcovision television from Lawson’s in Cornhill, Bury, cost £67 6d.
- Fire crews extinguish trees on fire in Red Lodge
- BNI aims for £1 million business growth following launch in Bury St Edmunds
- Priory School gets gold star marking
- Police call for compensation claim not to detract from officers’ ‘hard work’
- Suffolk’s Police and Crime Commissioner sets out priorities for local policing
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North west