Suspected bomb in village
Homes in Botesdale and Rickinghall were evacuated after a suspected bomb was found on a footpath.
Police were called just before 1pm on Wednesday after a member of the public spotted an unusual package within shrubbery. Officers attended the scene and the Bomb Disposal Squad were called.
Inspector Richard Hill said the package was a bottle with a digital watch and wires strapped to it . At around 2pm, residents within a 100m radius were asked to vacate their homes and a controlled explosion was carried out. Residents returned to their homes at around 6pm. The bottle was later found to contain flour.
Anyone with any information is asked to call 101.
- Vision reveals fresh detail on plans to develop town
- Leaping Hare in Stanton is named Good Food Guide’s readers’ regional restaurant of the year
- Text message reveals relationship with 15-year-old
- Manufacturing firm near Bury St Edmunds which rose to become largest of its kind in UK targets Europe at World showcase
- New chief operating officer appointed at NHS foundation trust
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North east