School’s recovery begins
A principal has hailed her school’s rapid turn around in fortunes as being ‘almost unprecedented’.
Denise Walker, of Hockwold and Methwold Community School, said inspectors had told her that the school’s climb out of special measures was way ahead of schedule.
The news was confirmed in a report from Ofsted released this week, with the school going from ‘inadequate’ to ‘requires improvement’.
Ms Walker said: “When a school goes into special measures it normally takes two years to get out.
“We’ve achieved that in nine months and our inspector said he’d only seen that twice before in the whole country.”
The initial report, carried out in January, saw the school given the lowest possible rating of four, in three of four categories.
But the latest inspection, carried out on October 24 and 25, saw the school given ratings of two for two categories and three in the remaining two.
The school is set to become an academy in January, under a new name.
- Vision reveals fresh detail on plans to develop town
- Leaping Hare in Stanton is named Good Food Guide’s readers’ regional restaurant of the year
- Text message reveals relationship with 15-year-old
- Manufacturing firm near Bury St Edmunds which rose to become largest of its kind in UK targets Europe at World showcase
- New chief operating officer appointed at NHS foundation trust
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North east