Pair taken to hospital after fire rips through thatched cottage
Two people were taken to West Suffolk Hospital last night after a fire engulfed a village thatched cottage.
The pair suffered smoke inhalation as firefighters battled to save the cottage, in Poy Street Green, Rattlesden.
Nine fire engines, an aerial appliance, water carrier and command unit rushed to the incident following a call at about 5.12pm.
The thatched roof and first floor were ‘fully invloved in fire’ and there was a partial roof collapse at 5.47pm.
The incident was under control by 8.49pm with a salvage operation and hotspotting due to continue for some considerable time.
A reinspection of the property was due to be carried out today.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Council chief to be guest speaker at Bury St Edmunds Chamber of Commerce annual meeting
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 8 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: South west