New building looks to college’s future
For West Suffolk College’s principal Dr Ann Williams today’s topping out ceremony of their new Further Education Building was one of mixed emotions.
Though the milestone in the building’s construction signified the college looking to the future, it is also the last building she will oversee as principal because she is retiring this year.
Standing on the roof of the building, which is on schedule to be finished in May, she looked across the Bury St Edmunds campus and pointed out one of the buildings. “That was the first building I did,” she said. “That was 10 years ago when I first started and I’ll be leaving on this, a new building.
“It’s going to be a new frontage to the college and it’s all about the future of West Suffolk College.”
Richard Carter, chairman of the governors, predicted: “When the scaffolding comes down, this building will suddenly appear in Bury St Edmunds as it’s new landmark.”
Picture in tomorrow’s Bury Free Press and full story on the eco-friendly building next week.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 7 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North west