Level crossing crash at Old Newton causes train delays
Commuters have been hit by delays after a car drove into level crossing barriers at Old Newton.
Police received reports at 7.10 this morning that a black Ford Mondeo had crashed into the barriers, at Station Road, and was on the rail tracks.
A police spokesperson said the driver was uninjured and the car was quickly removed from the tracks.
Rail operator, Greater Anglia, has said that earlier 60 minute delays to services using the stretch of line between Diss and Stowmarket, have been reduced to 20 minutes.
Network Rail has said the level crossing barriers require replacing and Station Road will be closed for several hours while these repairs are carried out.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Council chief to be guest speaker at Bury St Edmunds Chamber of Commerce annual meeting
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 8 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: South west