Golden couple find time for charity
A GENEROUS couple are celebrating 50 years of marriage.
Brian and Susan Last, of The Green Hessett, marked their golden wedding anniversary on Saturday, September 8, with a party attended by 95 family and friends.
And the couple did not waste the opportunity to drum up funds for Cancer Research UK, preferring donations to presents or flowers, and raising £220 in the process.
Susan, 71, said she first met Brian, 73, while rollerskating at the Corn Exchange when they were teenagers.
They immediately struck up a friendship and it is that which has kept their marriage going, according to Susan.
“I think the secret is to marry someone who is your friend.
“We’ve always been friends and even though you don’t always see eye to eye, you both work together for your home,” she said.
They were married at Fornham All Saints Church and honeymooned in a caravan at Wells-next-the-sea in Norfolk.
Brian then embarked on a lifelong career in farm work.
Susan worked in a number of part-time jobs while raising their two children, Joanne and Robert, who had children of their own.
They now have five grandchildren and one great grandchild.
- Vision reveals fresh detail on plans to develop town
- Leaping Hare in Stanton is named Good Food Guide’s readers’ regional restaurant of the year
- Text message reveals relationship with 15-year-old
- Manufacturing firm near Bury St Edmunds which rose to become largest of its kind in UK targets Europe at World showcase
- New chief operating officer appointed at NHS foundation trust
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North east