Fire destroys historic building in Bury St Edmunds
AN HISTORIC building used as an Italian restaurant in the centre of Bury St Edmunds has been devastated by fire.
Crews from across Suffolk and Norfolk were called to Strada at Cupoloa House in The Traverse shortly before 9pm last night.
The fire started in the basement of the building which is more than 300 years old and is Grade I listed.
A substantial part of the back of the building collapse blocking Skinner Street while the fire service says there has been a possible structural collapse at the front as well. The roof top observatory has also gone.
Part of the town centre was shut off while crews dealt with the incident.
Firefighters are still on scene this morning.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Council chief to be guest speaker at Bury St Edmunds Chamber of Commerce annual meeting
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 8 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: South west