Fire at malt factory
Fire crews have battled a fire at a malt factory in Stowmarket.
Emergency services were alerted after an automated fire alarm went off at Muntons Plc in Needham Road just before 2.20pm.
An fire engine from Stowmarket arrived at the scene to find the ground floor of the building slightly smoke logged and called for extra crews to attend.
At 2.45pm a fire was discovered in the roof cavity of a four storey building used to transfer grain.
Seven appliances plus a command unit were on scene to tackle the fire - a turntable appliance from Bury St Edmunds fought the flames externally while firefighters battled inside.
The fire was eventually put out at 3.42pm although crews remain at the scene.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
- Fire crews extinguish trees on fire in Red Lodge
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North east