Expenses row over hotel bills at St Edmundsbury Borough Council
The expenses row at St Edmundsbury Borough Council has continued this week with several independent councillors attacking a ‘free for all’.
Tuesday night’s full council meeting looked to ‘clarify’ a policy which said its officers can exceed limits for councillor overnight expenses when in the ‘interests of the council’, a move Cllr David Nettleton said would create a ‘free for all’.
The move came after two councillors – leader Cllr John Griffiths, and Cllr Peter Stevens – both breached overnight expense limits when they stayed at conferences. On both occasions accommodation was booked by officers.
Cllr Griffiths said the amounts exceeded were by less than £200
But independent Cllr Paul Hopfensperger said: “The problem is this is Council Tax payers’ money.”
And fellow independent Cllr Derek Redhead said the limits should be stuck to.
“If it is not enough then make it enough. Set down a limit that is reasonable and feasible,” he said.
- Vision reveals fresh detail on plans to develop town
- PCSO in Bury St Edmunds is found dead
- Leaping Hare in Stanton is named Good Food Guide’s readers’ regional restaurant of the year
- Text message reveals relationship with 15-year-old
- Manufacturing firm near Bury St Edmunds which rose to become largest of its kind in UK targets Europe at World showcase
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North