Demoltion of Cupola House’s chimney stack begins
DEMOLITION experts have started to remove the chimney stack of Cupola House - brick by brick.
The stack, which was damaged in the fire last Saturday, has been declared structurally unsound and will need to removed before fire fighters can get into the basement of the building where they suspect there may still be pockets of fire.
A crane arrived at the scene yesterday evening and Anglian Demolition & Asbestos Ltd started to remove bricks using an electric hand breaker this morning.
Once removed the bricks will be allowed to fall down the chimney stack.
The demolition of the chimney stack is expected to take about three days, dependant on weather.
- Fire crews extinguish trees on fire in Red Lodge
- BNI aims for £1 million business growth following launch in Bury St Edmunds
- Priory School gets gold star marking
- Police call for compensation claim not to detract from officers’ ‘hard work’
- Suffolk’s Police and Crime Commissioner sets out priorities for local policing
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North west