‘Cultural vandalism’ homes in Barrow get council planning permission
A housing scheme described as ‘cultural vandalism’ by the Suffolk Preservation Society, has won planning permission.
The SPS spokes against the demolition of 19th century buildings to make way for 40 new homes on land next to The Green in Barrow.
“We find this application serves to eradicate the spirit of the place at the heart of Barrow and represents cultural vandalism,” said SPS director Simon Cairns.
St Edmundsbury Borough Council’s development Control Committee had been due to make a decision earlier this month – but instead defered to have a site visit.
And on Thursday they sided with their officers recommendation in approving the plans, subject to a 106 agreement that will see developer Hopkins Homes put in funding towards local infrastructure improvements.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North west