Cookery star opens food bank
TV cookery star Delia Smith was in Stowmarket today to open the town’s new food bank.
But Delia announced, as she officially opened the food bank, that she had only discovered she was cutting the green ribbon when she arrived at the event.
The bank, set up by Churches Together, has been organised to give a helping hand to people who find themselves in money trouble during the economic slump.
Delia officially open the initiative today at 1pm.
The cookery writer said that food poverty was now a problem that affected many people in the country.
She said: “Now we have this problem on our doorstep in a way we have never seen before.
“I wanted to give my help because I am about eating good food and cannot bear to think about people not having enough to eat.”
To donate to the food bank call Mike Smith on 07867 767916 or Les on 0771 908 9304
See more in next week’s Bury Free Press
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: South west
Temperature: 6 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North