Chlorine alarm at Cedars Maltings
FIRE crews were called to a maltings in Stowmarket this morning after a chlorine alarm went off.
Crews from Stowmarket, Needham Market and Bury St Edmunds rushed to Munton’s Cedars Maltings after receiving the alarm at 9.25am.
Firefighters arrived to find no obvious chemicals spill but the area was cordoned off.
Investigations confirmed there was no immediate danger to public health and that nothing had entered the drains or the water course.
Fire crews used eight special gas tight suits while they carried out their investigation of the area.
On site monitoring equipment was used to check chlorine levels and all cylinders were closed down.
The incident was under control by 11.30am and fire crews were back at their stations by 12.51pm.
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North west