Big turnout for Plough Sunday celebrations
A procession made its way through Stowmarket on Sunday to mark the blessing of the plough.
The Rev Michael Eden and Ian Bell, Fund Director at farming charity the Addington Fund, led the procession from the Museum of East Anglian Life to St Peter and St Mary’s Church and pulled the plough up to the altar.
Mr Eden said: “It went really well.
“We had almost 100 people in the church - and a plough of course.
“We had various people from the museum dressed up and had three vintage tractors parked outside.
“We blessed the plough and prayed for those who work in agriculture and a succesful harvest.
“Traditionally the blessig is made at the beginning of the farming year - but with modern farming this is not really the case.”
- New mayor drives through Tesco’s doors
- Leading role given to ‘trailblazing’ schools
- Old friends form new group with man who toured in hit band
- World’s first professor of networking to speak at West Suffolk College business breakfast
- Future of HMV in Bury St Edmunds is secured after business is sold by administrators
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Bury St Edmunds
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 25 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 20 mph
Wind direction: South west