Housebuilder launches new headquarters in Bury named after decorated war hero

Mayor of St Edmundsbury Councillor Robert Everitt, local historian Cliff Hall, 48th Operations Group Deputy Commander Lt. Col. Philip Principi, and Taylor Wimpey East Anglia's Managing Director Bryn Maidman cut the ribbon to officially open Castle House. ANL-150603-150922001
Mayor of St Edmundsbury Councillor Robert Everitt, local historian Cliff Hall, 48th Operations Group Deputy Commander Lt. Col. Philip Principi, and Taylor Wimpey East Anglia's Managing Director Bryn Maidman cut the ribbon to officially open Castle House. ANL-150603-150922001

A leading housebuilder has officially unveiled its new Bury St Edmunds headquarters, which are named after a decorated war hero.

Taylor Wimpey East Anglia’s new offices, in Kempson Way, are close to Rougham Airfield and have been named ‘Castle House’ in honour of Brigadier General Frederick Walker Castle.

He was the highest ranking American serviceman to die in the northern theatre of war when he led a bombing raid during the Battle of the Bulge.

The official opening was attended by Clr Robert Everitt the Mayor of St Edmundsbury, and featured a presentation by local hisrorian Cliff Hall.

A framed piece of commemorative artwork was unveiled by a special guest from RAF Lakenheath.

Bryn Maidman, managing director of Taylor Wimpey East Anglia, said: “The official opening and ribbon-cutting ceremony at Castle House was a fantastic occasion that paid tribute to the history and heritage of the site, and to General Castle inparticular.”

General Castle took command of the 94th Bomber Group based at Rougham Airfield.

On Christmas Eve 1944, during the Height of the Battle of the Bulge, he headed a strike mission of 2,032 flying fortresses. After an engine failure, his aircraft became a target and he ordered his crew to bail out while he remained alone at the controls.