Fornham St Martin residents fighting to see waste hub plans binned

Fornham St Martin and Great Barton residents are protesting against proposals for a shared waste site near their villages
Fornham St Martin and Great Barton residents are protesting against proposals for a shared waste site near their villages
0
Have your say

Incensed residents are leading a campaign against plans for a shared waste hub on the outskirts of Bury St Edmunds, kickstarting a petition to see it stopped.

More than 50 people crammed into Fornham St Martin Village Hall last Thursday to voice concerns over the proposal, which would see the household waste recycling centre move from Rougham Hill to Hollow Road Farm, off Compiegne Way.

Issues raised included increased traffic, site access, noise and smell, echoing those mentioned at a meeting in Great Barton last week.

A month long pre-application consultation is in full swing and a petition opposing the plans is gathering support from both villages.

Sarah Batrum, the petition’s author, said: “I chose to move here to get away from a built up area, which is why I am campaigning to get this stopped.

“It’s going to devastate that bit of the countryside, plus there’s the light pollution, the smell and noise.

“My concern was I wanted everyone under other impressions to see what was going on.

“I’ve been going door to door and around 95 per cent of people I’ve spoken to are against this.”

Cllr Mike Collier, chairman of Fornham St Martin Parish Council, said: “We as a parish council want to support the residents and are anxious they receive as many facts as possible so they can make an informed objection.

“I have had more calls about this than about anything else I have dealt with in ten years on the parish council.

“It is still early days, but we are concerned for the residents on Barton Hill as they are the ones who would bear the noise, smells and traffic aspects.”

It had been suggested St Edmundsbury Borough Council had already paid £25,000 to landowners towards the site, with another £25,000 to be handed over next month.

In response, a borough council spokesman said: “An option agreement is in place with the landowner to give confidence to the councils that if the application is approved they would be able to acquire the necessary land to carry out the development.

“It also secures a price which means the councils can effectively manage the available funding for the development.”

The public consultation ends on April 6. See www.westsuffolk.gov.uk/wsoh.